ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
i. Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
ii. Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
iii. Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
iv. Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict and maintains confidentiality.
v. Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
vi. Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
vii. Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
viii. Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Travel Requirement is 25% or 1 week per month on average including international. 5yrs experience and working towards AICP.
· Knowledge of the philosophies, principals, practices & techniques of planning
· Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection
· Knowledge of planning disciplines such as urban design, environmental planning, military planning, economic development or land use
· Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs as above, plus HTML coding, programming / development capabilities are a plus
· Solid understanding of GIS use, principles, data standards and projections. Model building and application development is a plus
· Knowledge of sustainable planning and resiliency planning practices
· Effective communication skills are critical - writing skills, powerpoint, acrobat, and Microsoft office software, including advanced use of Microsoft Excel are preferred
· Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well-defined planning problems
· Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
· Ability to manage time effectively and meet firm deadlines
· Group facilitation skills for use with community workshops are a plus
The Planner II requires a degree in planning or related field and five to seven years of professional planning experience (internship experience is applicable). Candidates possessing a master's degree in planning or a related field, professional training and/or certifications may substitute professional planning experience. AICP and/or GIS Training Certification is a plus. Military Service is a plus.